Mr. James H. Colvin, Jr.
900 Market Street, Suite 300
Shreveport, Louisiana 71101
Phone: (318) 429-6770
Facsimile: (318) 429-6771
Jim Colvin has substantial experience in many areas of litigation, including general healthcare and contract litigation, medical malpractice defense, oil and gas, personal injury and commercial litigation. As general counsel to various businesses of many sizes and industries, he has gained a unique perspective as what business needs to succeed. Whether helping healthcare clients navigate extensive and complicated compliance regulations or oil and gas companies or landowners litigate mineral lease disputes, Jim’s experience can and will work for you. Jim is a member of the United States Fifth Circuit Bar Association, the Shreveport Bar Association, the American Bar Association and the Louisiana Bar Association.
Jim became a member of the Louisiana Bar Association after graduating from Loyola School of Law in 1992. While at Loyola, Jim earning moot court honors and participated as a member of the Loyola Moot Court Board. Prior to law school, Jim attended Louisiana Tech University in Ruston, Louisiana, where he received a bachelor’s degree in liberal arts in 1989.
Jim was born in West Monroe, Louisiana on July 17, 1967. He is the son of James and Joyce Colvin, and the late Mary Alice Colvin. He was raised in Monroe, Louisiana, but relocated to Ruston, Louisiana when his family moved there in 1983. He married Laura John Colvin of Monroe in 1989, and they have three children together, Jackson, Hannah and Ben. They currently reside in Homer, Louisiana.
Primary Areas of Practice:
- Healthcare Regulation and Litigation
- Medical Malpractice Defense
- Personal Injury
- Contract Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Corporate & Business Litigation
- General Litigation
- Municipals and Local Government Practice
- Succession, Wills and Trusts
- Louisiana, 1992
- U. S. District Court, Eastern District of Louisiana, 1993
- U. S. District Court, Middle District of Louisiana, 1993
- U. S. District Court, Western District of Louisiana, 1993
- U. S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit, 1993
- Loyola University, New Orleans School of Law, 1992
- Louisiana Tech University, 1989
- Ruston High School, 1985
Professional Association and Memberships:
- Louisiana Society of Hospital Attorneys, 2010 – present
- Louisiana Bar Association, 1992 – present
- Shreveport Bar Association, 1992 – present
- United State Fifth Circuit Bar Association, 1992 – present
- United States Supreme Court Bar Association, 2015